Thursday, July 23, 2009

Biosphere Experience

Well these last two weeks have been quite the whirlwind. To make a long story short, on July 9, I got a call to replace a teacher who didn't show up to a summer training at Biosphere 2 in Oracle, AZ. So, after phone calls, rearranging my summer schedule, and last minute shopping at Wal-Mart, I started my adventure the next day.

I am one of 35 teachers from across the state that attended this conference. My first class was learning how to make a working model of the Biosphere using 2 liter bottles. I have a living plant, fish, worms inside 2 bottles and don't have to water it. Yes everything is still alive. I have a small area where I drop food for the fish, but that's it.

That started a whirlwind of activities, field trips, hikes (3 days in a row = sore muscles), and lots of teacher stuff. We went to Catalina State Part for bird watching, insect data collecting, and water testing. We went to Kurtchner Caverns near Benson. We have touched almost all areas of science to the point that I have units for my full curriculum.

I'll be adding a slide show of pictures that I've taken so far. But one thing that this has really done has got me excited about science and teaching again. Watch out PDSD students. Here I come. :)

No comments: