Sunday, June 1, 2008

Summer Vacation is HERE

I'm writing this from my brother's computer in Washington D.C. We just wrapped up a week reunion with all of the Waites in tow. We took all 11 adults and 5 kids to a beach house in North Carolina. It was so much fun!!!

Mothballs
I spent most of my time resting from a hectic last 2 weeks of school. Our maintenance crew had found a stray cat in the air ducts in the building I was teaching in. They were able to get the cat (and her kittens) out, but had the idea that to keep them away - they would put a box of mothballs in the vent. Well, that's fine and well, but two of the teachers (I would be one of them ) happened to have asthmatic attacks to the mothballs and had to be moved for the last 2 weeks. So, I taught out of the school conference room. The kids liked the more comfortable chairs and the big screen HD TV that was in the room. Through less exposure, and 3 steroids, my lungs are back to normal.

Waite Reunion

It took a lot of planning, organizing, and patience, but we all arrived at the beach house. It was only a 5 minute walk from the beach. It also had it's own pool, ping pong table, billiard table, bedroom and bathroom for each family, a big upstairs kitchen and living room, and a magic closet (known to the rest of the world as an elevator). Adrienne (age 5) and Cooper (age 3) would often drag their Aunt Christina to go up and down in the magic closet many times a day. This rule was set up after Cooper tried to go on the elevator by himself and couldn't quite get back to the right floor.

It was a lot of fun seeing all the cousins getting to know eachother and seeing their personalities. Adrienne kind of took a mothering role. She's the oldest and only girl so it was natural for her. Cooper was taking advantage of his 2 year head start over the others by trying to get them into trouble. He saw himself as an instant leader of his own posse. Logan (20 months) was sick for the majority of the time (poor guy). He kept close to Mom (ie Jessica) for the most part. He would venture out a few times and by the end of the week was feeling well enough to try the pool and surf. Jayden (13 months) was all smiles for Grandma Sharon. His personality is starting to show through, as are his two front teeth. Jaxxen (12 months) will probably become a member of the WWE or other professional wrestling circuit. He would tackle and wrestle all of the cousins he could get his hands on.

We also took family pictures by the beach. They turned out really well and with the children as young as they were, they did GREAT!!! Our family has a tendency to take pictures every 10 years. Between the last family picture and now, we've added 2 sisters in law, 1 brother in law, 1 niece and 5 nephews (at least from my point of view). It will be interesting to see who will be added to the next family photo.

Vacation Plans

I'm afraid this is my big trip for the summer. We spent a week in NC. Tyler, Kamry, Jaxxen and I are staying another week in D.C. to see the tourist sights. (Kamry hasn't been here before). We'll head back home on Saturday. I'll be teaching at Sylvan for 7 weeks. And then, back to school. I start back around July 28 or 29. The students start back August 4. It will go by quick but I'm glad it's here.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Oh my goodness!! That sounds like so much fun!! I have so much fun being an aunt! I get to spoil and snuggle them and send them on their way! ;) (Especially if there's a poopy diaper nearby! :D ) You guys are all pretty spread out. The furthest I've ever been was once to New York for a girls' trip with my sisters in law (one served her mission there) and to visit Geoff's brother in Kansas and then Illinois. :) Your vacation sounds fabulous!!

Love,
Diana