Saturday, July 12, 2008

Summer Halfway Over

After the 4th of July, I came to the sad conclusion that summer is more than halfway over for me. I report back to PDSD on the 29th of this month, but I'll probably go back the Thursday before to look over my room and get a few things set up. But enough about that. :)

So here's some updates:

Work
Sylvan is going well. I'm working about 1/2 of the hours that I worked last summer. It's averages to be about 6-9 hours a week. I guess tutoring is a luxury that gets bumped when gas keeps going up. It is nice to work for a few hours then relax the rest of the day. I also love the summers because I don't work on Saturdays!!! During the school year, Saturday would be the day I would get the most hours from Sylvan, so I would feel like I have a very short weekend. It's nice to have a full weekend now.

Cooking Class
I LOVE IT!!!! I can't say much more about it. I wish I had taken more advantage when I was living at home and learned from my mother (who's a terrific cook). I've made a vegetable soup that was easier than making mac and cheese. I've made a Shepard's pie that was tasty with Mexican spices and chilies. And I've learned to freeze and reheat the left overs so I have like my own frozen microwave dinners already in my freezer.
Another bonus - I've lost 20 pounds since the end of May!!! I guess I never learned until now how much damage I was doing by being lazy and going through the drive thru on the way home from work. Now, I just by pass Panda Express (my normal spot) because I know I have food ready in the freezer. I Love it!!!!!!

Arizona Heat
Well, it's been a pretty hot summer. But the monsoon storms have started so it has cooled us down. I think that today is the first day that the height temp is supposed to be under 100 degrees!! Yeah! Anything is bearable with AC and lots of water!!!

I guess that's it. More later......

2 comments:

Diana said...

You go, Girl!! 20 pounds you're not carrying around anymore! Wahoo!! I do that with leftovers, too, but they never make it into the freezer! Hubby takes them to work or I eat them instead of the kids' mac and cheese. :D At the rate the baby is eating, though, I'm already preparing to make bigger meals! My girls are so picky, I get away with less. :D He inhales anything within 2 feet of him... this boy thing is different in so many ways! I love catching up with you! You ROCK!

Love,
Diana

Grandma Turtle said...

Is your Summer really only halfway over still? Man! We head back to school this week. Our summer is over! Call me crazy, but I'm excited to get back to school! I want to meet my students, see where they are struggling, and try to help them. Bring it on!