Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I Love NY

Here's the update - warning, it's a long one.

On 10/2, Lori and I left for a NY trip. Lori is an old college roommate of mine. Her husband gave her the trip for her birthday and she shared it with me. Our plans were to watch conference in the hotel Sat & Sun. Monday - Thursday = we became the proudest NY tourists that we could. Thursday night = fly back to Phoenix.

Notice I said that was our plans. Life has been derailed a little bit. The plan was great until Tuesday night 10/6. We had just finished seeing Lion King (a great play by the way, but that will be for another post). We traveled back to our hotel and we had gotten off of the bus stop 2 blocks away from the hotel.

As we were crossing the street, we were hit by a car. Neither one of us saw it so we don't know where it was coming from, was the driver drunk, was he texting? We just don't know or remember. I remember hitting the car and then hitting the street. I didn't lose consciousness, but I knew I couldn't move my right leg. Ambulances came and both Lori and I were taken to the North Shore University Hospital. We got in touch with our families. Lori had fractures in her face and pelvis. I had broken my right femur bone and needed to surgically repair it with a rod.

By Wednesday morning, I was being prepped for surgery. Surgery went great. I don't even have a cast on the leg. I have several staples holding things in place. My left leg is pretty bruised, but it just is soft tissue damage, no broken bones there.

Wednesday evening until now 10/13 - I've been on the 2nd floor (surgical wing) of the hospital. I have been able to hobble to and from the bathroom with a walker. I'm stable enough to be transported to a rehab facility behind the hospital. However, we've been waiting for Lori's husband to go pick up the police report. Hopefully the transfer will take place this evening or tomorrow morning at the latest.

Lori is doing well. She had surgery on her face Friday morning. She is also waiting to be transferred to rehab.

Overall, we are counting our blessings that it wasn't worse. The church members here are wonderful. Someone from the stake high council went and got our belongings from the hotel. He and his wife came by Saturday night and left a copy of the Ensign for me to read. Another young couple is nearby. The husband is an intern at the hospital and they live 5 minutes away walking distance. They have come by to visit.

Ryan and his family came to visit Sunday and Monday. It was nice to see all of them. It was the first time I saw the twins. They are cute little guys. Cooper was full of questions and Adriene was full of answers. So good times were had by all. :) Thanks for coming guys.

That's about it so far. I will keep people posted on this and via Facebook.

Love you all.

No comments: